One of the great things about cooking for my dog, is that he LOVES everything I make! The same cannot be said for the rest of my family...
I have been cooking Harry's meals for the last year and a half due to his ongoing issues with liver disease. I recently started making some of his treats as well and want to share with you a basic dog treat recipe. This is a compilation/adaption of a few recipes I found online.
Add in some extra tasty ingredients to take these treats from basic to gourmet!
Basic Dog Treats
2 cups brown rice flour
3/4 cups quick whole grain oats
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Add Ins (choose one or more of the following):
1/4 cup unsweetened peanut butter
1/4 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup diced cranberries, blueberries or other firm fruit
1. Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl whisk water, oil and eggs. Add any 'wet' Add Ins, if using.
3. In a large bowl stir together the brown rice flour and oats. Make a well in the center of this mixture and add in the wet ingredients.
4. Sir well and when the mixture resembles cookie dough (you may need to add a little more water) fold in the diced fruit, if using. Mix until combined.
5. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and form into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it's about 1/3 of an inch thick. Cut out shapes and place on the cookie tray.
6. Bake treats for 17-20 minutes.
7. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
I made Harry's treats today using unsweetened dried cranberries. He loves them, of course!
Harry gives this recipe 9 paws out of 10!
Enjoy your pets,